Saturday, December 8, 2012

Boudain Breakfast Buscuits

     So something a little different today.  I am not sure when exactly I came up with this, but I introduced them to my husband when we were first dating over three years ago.

     There is this delicious doughnut and kolache place not far down the road from where I grew up.  I came to find out (as my husband is from Kansas) that both boudain, and kolaches are a southern thing.  Kolache's (ko-lach-ees) are not to be confused with the northern variation Kolackys (ko-lach-kees).  The southern version is a sweet flaky bread that typically has sausage in the middle, often with cheese and jalapenos, and I have discovered after moving to Illinois that the northern version is more of a pastry with fruit inside.

      Anyway, since moving up here I have not gotten my hands on any boudain in the year and a half I have been near Chicago.  Nonetheless, while visiting family in Texas, we packed a cooler with as many packages of boudain and dry ice as we could fit, and brought some up here with us.  After getting my husband addicted to the stuff, we started making these delicious things again.  So any of you lucky enough to live close enough to Louisiana to get a hold of the stuff (or maybe you can beg your local grocery store to start ordering it) here is my very easy recipe:

BOUDAIN BREAKFAST BISCUITS:


You should be able to click the image to make it larger, but just in case here are the steps:

Ingredients:

-One link of boudain
-One container of homestyle buttermilk biscuits
-Cheddar Cheese

Step One: Preheat oven according to biscuit instructions.  Cut boudain into 1/2 to 1 inch slices
Step Two: Peal each biscuit in half; make a small circular indention in the middle with your thumb.
Step Three: Place small amount of cheese, and one slice of boudain in the center.
Step Four: Pinch edges of biscuit to seal.
Step Five: Grease baking sheet, and place finished biscuits onto the pan.
Step Six: Bake biscuits according to the instructions on the package, or until golden brown.
Step Seven: Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment